The Best Primers for Large Pores — When people with large pores or acne scars do their makeup, they tend to apply layers of foundation to give the illusion of refined skin. (I know I did!)
Pushing makeup into your pores, however, results in an unnatural texture and can eventually lead to breakouts.
Foundation just simply isn’t built to go deep into the skin.
What you can do instead is use the same techniques that professional makeup artists do to cover large pores–target and correct imperfections using a primer, apply a thin blanket of foundation, and mattify with a mineral powder.
This creates a flawless canvas without having the need to cake on foundation.
Using minimal foundation helps you create a more natural and healthier looking finish.
To help create the effect of refined skin, here are two basic types of primers you can use:
- Silicone-based – have a thick consistency that works well smoothen out pores, acne scars, wrinkles, and fine lines. Silicone molecules fill out indentations on the skin and prevent makeup from sinking in. This type of primer works well with silicone-based foundations.
- Water-based – are more lightweight and generally blends better with liquid, water-based foundations.
Primers are applied after moisturizers and before foundation.
They can be applied with a sponge or brush, but it is best to use your fingers to help meld the product into your skin.
Video: How Does Primer Work – Makeup Hacks
It’s one thing to have the perfect primer, but it won’t be as effective if it’s not used properly.
Here are a few tips and tricks for buying and using primers:
- Clear out any build up of (sometimes invisible) dead skin. This will prevent uneven application and that sketchy-looking surface you get when you apply foundation on dry skin. You can use physical exfoliation during cleansing or chemical exfoliation through AHA toners or AHA serums.
- Moisturize well beneath your primer and wait for 5 minutes or so to let it absorb fully. If you apply your primer on a skin that has traces of moisturizer, your foundation will break up into patches pretty easily. If you have acne-prone skin, use a non-comedogenic moisturizer underneath. Something with a matte finish like La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar Mat Oil-Free Facial Moisturizer is a great choice for oily skin.
- It’s very important for people with large pores to always keep the oils at bay because they reflect light and tend to exaggerate the skin’s uneven texture. A face that is mattified, however, can give your skin an airbrushed finish. If you have issues with excessively oily skin, I recommend a highly acclaimed program called The Oily Skin Solution by Patricia Everson. Our skin is very dynamic and the causes for oily skin can be one or ten things at once. This guide can help you get to the root causes of your oily skin and help you get rid of it.
- If you have oily skin, use the right face wash to avoid early production of sebum.
- Primers not only makes your skin look smoother, but they also help make your foundation stick to your skin for hours on end. It’s not a hard and fast rule, but you should always try to combine products that have the same base. If you apply a water-based foundation to a silicone primer, the silicone primer will tend to repel the foundation and prevent it from thoroughly blending into your skin. This can cause unevenness and will not make your makeup last as long as it could. You should always try to combine makeup based from the same ingredients–silicone-based primers works best with silicone foundations and water-based primers with water-based foundations.
- Do not rub your primer. Rubbing will ball up the product instead of setting into your pores. Just press and pat gently with your fingers until you’ve filled all your pores. The heat from your fingers will lead to better application.
- Try not to over apply your primer. Overdoing it will cause your concealer or foundation to slide sooner than later. Just use a small drop and apply a thin layer on your skin.
- Remember, not every product will work for every person. You may need to try and observe which combination of products will work best for your skin.
This website is for informational purposes and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Product or service details are collected directly from the manufacturer and other reputable sources during the time of this review. We try to keep on top of new formulations when we can and update our data accordingly.
Recommendations are based on our research, results, a comprehensive analysis of the products' formulation, claims, value for money, and other consumer reviews. We make an effort to be as objective as possible and give advice in good faith; however, our reviews are 100% honest and therefore may still contain conjectures and opinions based on our personal experiences.
It’s important to know that as with any product (especially cosmetics), what may be perfect for you may not be right for the next person. So as much as we want to guarantee that these will be everyone’s next holy grail, results can still be affected by individual factors like your current skin condition, the environment you’re in, use of the product, reaction to your other skincare, and so on. For best results, make sure to choose products that are suited for your skin type and skin issues.
At the end of every review, there will be a link for you to check current discounts and other customer reviews on Amazon. These, along with some other links that redirect you to third-party sites, are affiliate links where we earn a small commission if you do decide to make a purchase. This is at absolutely no extra cost to you and will help in maintaining the quality of the site.
There are millions of products and services that relate to beauty and health. However, we have and will only recommend products or services that we have had experience with or thoroughly investigated. Our content is not influenced by affiliates but by what we truly feel will deliver value to you. We are deeply passionate about health and wellness, and one of our goals is to help you make educated choices so you can get closer to your #skincare goals. 🙂
Thank you for visiting and here’s to being the best version of yourself!
- 1 Editor’s Choice: The Best Primers for Large Pores
- 1.1 Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- 1.2 Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer – Broad Spectrum SPF 15
- 1.3 jane iredale Smooth Affair for Oily Skin Facial Primer & Brightener
- 1.4 Elizabeth Arden Flawless Start Instant Perfecting Primer
- 1.5 tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer
- 1.6 Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Free Foundation Primer – Pore Minimizing
- 1.7 Too Faced Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer
- 1.8 theBalm TimeBalm Face Primer
- 1.9 Benefit’s the POREfessional Face Primer
- 1.10 NYX Cosmetics Pore Filler
Editor’s Choice: The Best Primers for Large Pores
These are our choices for the best primers for large pores based on our experience, formulation, claims, value for money, and consumer reviews.
Make sure to choose a product that is best suited for your skin type and skin issues.
|Brand / Product Name||Formulation Base||Key Benefits||Best for (Skin Type & Condition)|
|Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector||Water-based primer||Mattifies skin. Instantly blurs the look of large pores and help regulate sebum production. Long hours of oil control (Acts like a liquid blotting paper). Cruelty-free.||Oily skin with open and large pores on cheeks, nose, forehead, and chin; Combination skin with oily T-zones||Read Review|
|Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 15||Silicone-based primer||Makes foundation repel water & be transfer-resistant, locks makeup in place all day. Conceals redness (even rosacea) to help even out skin tone. Minimizes the appearance of pores, fine lines, & other imperfections. Broad-spectrum mineral SPF 15 sunscreen. Vegan, Cruelty-free. |
Winner: InStyle Best Beauty Buy Award for Best Primer
|All skin types especially Sensitive and Acne-prone skin with pores on cheeks, nose, forehead, and chin; Redness / Rosacea; Sun exposure||Read Review|
|jane iredale Smooth Affair for Oily Skin Facial Primer and Brightener||Water-based primer||Revolutionary PoreAway™ technology to visibly reduce shine. Advanced mineral technology that color-adjusts for an even skin tone. Noticeably reduces the appearance of pores to create a smooth, matte finish. A wide array of anti-aging vitamins and antioxidants. Vegan & Certified cruelty-free. Gluten-free. Paraben-Free.|
Winner: ALLURE Best of Beauty Award.
|Oily Skin with large pores, Aging skin with fine lines & wrinkles||Read Review|
|Elizabeth Arden Flawless Start Instant Perfecting Primer||Silicone-based primer||Triple-Blurring Complex – light-diffusing, soft focus effect to instantly perfect skin’s texture & minimize the appearance of pores, wrinkles, & fine lines. |
Time-Release Skin Balancing Technology – a unique formulation of hyaluronic acid & botanical extracts to hydrate & plump lines, while hollow silica beads help absorb oil throughout the day.
Longwear Polymers – emollients to extend the wear of your foundation.
Winner: IMAGE Beauty Awards
|All skin types especially Enlarged pores, Fine lines, Aging skin; Issues with skin texture||Read Review|
|tarte Poreless Mattifying Primer||Silicone-based primer||Optical matte-blur technology to filter imperfections. Waterproof, mattifying, & texturizing face primer. tarte 12-hour power™. Helps erase pores & resurface uneven skin texture. Nutrient-rich formula infused with botanical extracts that immediately boosts skin before makeup. Vegan-friendly & Certified Cruelty-free.||Combination to Oily skin with Large pores, Acne scars, Uneven skin texture, Fine lines, Dry patches||Read Review|
|Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Free Foundation Primer – Pore Minimizing||Silicone-based primer||Reduces the look of pores. Controls oil & mattifies shine. Smoothes and preps skin for foundation. Water-resistant, Oil-free. Vegan & Cruelty-free.|
Winner: Allure Best of Beauty Award
|Normal to Oily skin with open and large pores on cheeks, nose, forehead, and chin||Read Review|
|Too Faced Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer||Silicone-based primer||Virtually erases pores & imperfections. |
Creates a smooth, airbrushed surface for flawless makeup application. Brightens the skin, improves skin texture, & minimizes fine lines over time. Improves makeup wearability. Vegan & Cruelty-free.
|Combination skin with large pores and fine lines||Read Review|
|theBalm TimeBalm Face Primer||Silicone-based primer||Minimizes the appearance of pores & fine lines. Evens out skin tone & improves texture. Infused with Vitamins A, C & E – helps protect against free radicals. Allantoin & Bioflavonoid – anti-inflammatory to soothe stressed skin.||All skin types especially Oily skin with large pores, wrinkles, and fine lines||Read Review|
|Benefit’s the POREfessional Face Primer||Silicone-based primer||Minimizes the appearance of pores & fine lines . Creates a smooth canvas & helps makeup stay put throughout the day|
Mattifies shine and touches up problem areas. Vitamin E – protects skin from free radicals.
Awards: #1 best-selling Prestige Face Primer in the US
|Normal to combination skin with large pores||Read Review|
|NYX Cosmetics Pore Filler||Silicone-based primer||Helps minimize the appearance of pores. Preps your complexion for smoother makeup application. Infused with Vitamin E. Oil-free, talc-free. Drugstore dupe of Benefit’s POREfessional.||Normal to combination skin with large pores||Read Review|
Video: Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector by Becca
Video: TOP 5: PRIMERS – mattifying and pore minimising/blurring primers by KitschSnitch
(Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, Make Up For Ever Mattifying Primer, Benefit Porefessional Primer, Elizabeth Arden Flawless Start Instant Perfecting Primer, Dermalogica Hydrablur Primer)
Video: Veil Mineral Primer by Hourglass Cosmetics
Video: The Best Primers For Oily Skin! by Nikkia Joy
(Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, Mac Prep + Prime, Dr. Brandt Pores No More, Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector, Rimmell Stay Matte, Smashbox Photo Finish Oil Free Foundation Primer – Pore Minimizing, Kat Von D Lock-It Featherweight Primer)
Video: Best Skin Care Make Up | Jane Iredale
(Jane Iredale Absence Oil Control Primer, Smooth Affair Primer & Brightener, Smooth Affair for Oily Skin)
Video: Elizabeth Arden’s ‘No Makeup’ Makeup Look | SkinStore
Video: New Tarte Poreless Primer | wear test | Taylor Edwards
Video: Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Primer by Smashbox Cosmetics
Video: How To Hide Enlarged Pores & Make Your Pores Disappear! By Nikkia Joy
(Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Foundation Primer, NYX Pore Filler Primer, Benefit Porefessional Primer)
Video: Too Faced Primed and Poreless Primer | First Impressions
Video: thebalm’s Time Balm Primer Review! By Ginger Sjolander
Video: QUICK REVIEW: Benefit PORE Professional review by gossmakeupchat
Video: NYX Pore Filler Review by Mia Schiro
Backe, J. (n.d.). Milady Standard Cosmetology (Milady’s Standard Cosmetology).
BECCA Cosmetics. (2018). BECCA Cosmetics | Official Store | Home Page.
Benefitcosmetics.com. (2018). Benefit Cosmetics > Official Site and Online Store | Benefit Cosmetics.
Davis, G. and Hall, M. (2008). The Makeup Artist Handbook: Techniques for Film, Television, Photography, and Theatre. Amsterdam: Focal Press/Elsevier.
Faced, T. (2018). Too Faced: Makeup, Cosmetics & Beauty Products Online – Too Faced.
Fields, K., Williams, V. and Rodan, K. (2014). Unblemished: Stop Breakouts! Fight Acne! Transform Your Life! Reclaim Your Self-Esteem with the Proven 3-Step Program Using Over-the-Counter Medications. New York: Atria Books.
Hourglasscosmetics.com. (2018). Hourglass Cosmetics | Luxury Performance Makeup.
Loraccosmetics.com. (2018). LORAC® Cosmetics – Official LORAC Site.
McDermott, A. and Kennedy, L. (n.d.). About Face — The Smart Woman’s Guide to Beauty: Your Essential Skincare and Make-Up Bible for the Changing face of Beauty.
Minskey, S. (2011). The Ultimate DIY Bridal Beauty Book. [S.l.]: Lulu Com.
Nyxcosmetics.com. (2018). NYX Cosmetics Official Site – Professional Makeup & Beauty Products.
Smashbox. (2018). Smashbox.
theBalm. (2018). theBalm Cosmetics.
Vallo, Lana. Make-up For Beginners: Learn Doing Make-up Like A Pro.