Most mild to moderate cases of acne can be treated effectively with drugstore cleansers and ointments.
Cleansers have been proven to be beneficial for treating acne.
The strongest and most effective over the counter acne treatments contain benzoyl peroxide.
- 1 Editor’s Choice: The Best Benzoyl Peroxide Face Washes & Cleansers
- 1.1 GlyMed Plus Serious Action Skin Wash
- 1.2 Acnefree Oil-Free Acne Cleanser
- 1.3 Proactiv+ Skin Smoothing Exfoliator
- 1.4 Vivant Skin Care – Benzoyl Peroxide 3% Exfoliating Cleanser, 8 Ounce
- 1.5 PCA SKIN BPO 5% Cleanser
- 1.6 Replenix Acne Solutions Benzoyl Peroxide Wash 5% / 10%
- 1.7 Beauty Facial Extreme – Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Acne Cleanser for Face & Body
- 1.8 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash by Harris Pharmaceuticals
- 1.9 Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories B Prox Anti-Blemish Face Wash
- 1.10 PanOxyl Acne Foaming 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash
- 1.11 Humane Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Acne Treatment Body & Face Wash
- 2 Product Comparison Table: The Best Benzoyl Peroxide Face Washes & Cleansers
How Does Benzoyl Peroxide Work?
Benzoyl peroxide face wash and cleansers works to both prevent and treat inflammatory acne (cysts, red pimples, and zits) and non-inflammatory (blackheads and whiteheads).
It has 3 major acne-fighting actions:
- It’s a very effective exfoliant – it clears pores of clogged oils and dead skin which are the root causes of blackheads and whiteheads. This exfoliation action also expedites cell turnover, which helps heal the spot.
- It’s anti-bacterial – by releasing oxygen, which is lethal to the p. acne bacteria.
- It promotes wound healing – by attracting macrophages and histiocytes (types of white blood cells that protects the body from infection) into the wound.
Jump to: How to Use Benzoyl Peroxide for Acne
Video: What is Benzoyl Peroxide? by Dr. Schultz, MD
Editor’s Choice: The Best Benzoyl Peroxide Face Washes & Cleansers
Here is our curated list of the best benzoyl peroxide face wash and cleansers based on formulation, our experience, value for money, specifications, and other consumer reviews over the years.
Make sure to choose one that is most suited for your skin type and condition.
Product Comparison Table: The Best Benzoyl Peroxide Face Washes & Cleansers
|wdt_ID||Brand / Product Name||Benzoyl Peroxide Strength||Additional Benefits||Best for (Skin Type & Condition)||Product Image||Jump to Review|
|3||GlyMed Plus Serious Action Skin Wash||2.5%||Soothing, anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera.||Unbalanced and problematic Acne-Prone skin.|
|4||Acnefree Oil-Free Acne Cleanser||2.5%||Patented continuous-relief micronized benzoyl peroxide.||All skin types; Acne-prone skin.|
|5||Proactiv+ Skin Smoothing Exfoliator||2.5%||4-in-1 multi-functional daily face wash with glycolic acid and exfoliating beads. Non-greasy, sulfate-free, paraben-free, non-comedogenic.||All skin types; Resistant, Acne-prone skin with dull, uneven texture.|
|14||Vivant Skin Care - Benzoyl Peroxide 3% Exfoliating Cleanser, 8 Ounce||3%||All natural, renewable, and biodegradable cellulose buffing beads. Non-comedogenic, cruelty-free.||Combination to Oily skin; Acne-prone skin with large pores and prone to scarring.|
|6||PCA SKIN BPO 5% Cleanser||5%||Benzoyl peroxide + phytic acid (exfoliant). Moisturizing, soothing botanical extracts. No synthetic dyes, cruelty-free.||All skin types; Resistant, Acne-prone skin with dull, uneven texture.|
|7||Replenix Acne Solutions Benzoyl Peroxide Wash 5% / 10%||5%, 10%||Formulated for dermatologists. Contains USP grade, micronized benzoyl peroxide for potency and efficacy in penetrating the skin.||Acne-prone skin, Normal to Oily Skin.|
|8||Beauty Facial Extreme – Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Acne Cleanser for Face & Body||5%, 10%||Formulated for face & body. Paraben-free, fragrance-free, cruelty free.||Acne-prone skin on the face, body, and back.|
|9||5% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash by Harris Pharmaceuticals||5%, 10%||Simple, affordable benzoyl peroxide face wash.||Normal, resistant, acne-prone skin.|
|10||Dermatologic Cosmetic Laboratories B Prox Anti-Blemish Face Wash||10%||Detoxifying mineral-rich clay to absorb excess oil and refine pore size. Plant extracts to reduce sensitivity and soothe redness & irritation. Dermatologist tested. Paraben-free. Non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic.||(Very) Oily, Acne-prone skin with large pores.|
|11||PanOxyl Acne Foaming 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash||10%||Simple, affordable benzoyl peroxide face wash.||Normal, resistant, acne-prone skin.|
What You Should Know Before Using Benzoyl Peroxide for Acne
- Be aware of its potential side-effects – Before including this in your regimen, you need to be aware of its possible side effects. This is crucial because expecting these and knowing how to deal with it head-on is one of the keys to a successful treatment. Possible side effects include:
- Skin dryness – If your skin is sensitive or isn’t resistant enough, it can start to crack and peel off in blotches (Sounds scary, I know! But stay with me here). This means your moisture barrier can be compromised.
- Redness or skin irritation – including a bit of stinging if you have extra sensitive skin. If left unaddressed, dry skin can clog pores and irritated skin can practically guarantee breakouts in acne-prone skin. The solution? Our #2 tip below!
- Use a hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic moisturizer after application. This is to maintain the integrity of your moisture barrier and restore the skin’s pH. the right moisturizer will help to fully counteract any of the above-mentioned side effects. Just be sure to find one that is gentle and won’t further irritate your skin (opt for formulations for sensitive skin). Check that it is lightweight and non-comedogenic so as to also not aggravate your acne. If used in daytime, complement with a broad spectrum sunscreen.
- If you’re new to benzoyl peroxide, start with the lowest % strength and work your way up. – It’s important to acclimatize or let your skin adjust when incorporating any new product. Your safest bet is to start with the lowest % strength, using it once every other day. Gradually increase usage to 2-3 times daily or as needed as you go on. You can work your way up in % or frequency when you feel like your skin needs and is prepared for it. If any dryness or peeling occurs, reduce the frequency or % strength.
- Do not use hydroquinone and benzoyl peroxide at the same time. – This is a popular brightening/whitening ingredient. You can check the label of your other products if you’re not sure. If you’re looking for a great alternative for irregular pigmentation, Vivant Skin Care 8% Mandelic Acid 3-in-1 Serum works amazingly for all skin tones.
- Set your expectations. – You need to set your expectations when using over the counter products like these. I’ve had acne since my teens until well into my twenties and have tried almost every acne product I can get my hands on in hopes of finding that miracle product that will end my suffering. (I know this sounds overly dramatic but when you’ve had acne for more than a decade, ‘suffering’ and ‘agony’ really isn’t an exaggeration.)
Benzoyl peroxide has been very effective for me but it is by no means a cure-all. If you’re suffering from persistent acne, its best to undergo a program that will help you get to the root of the problem and address the causes. Acclaimed programs like Mike Walden’s Acne No More can be a great start.
- Acnefree.com. (2017). Acne Treatment Products – AcneFree.
- Alvarez, O. M., Mertz, P. M., & Eaglstein, W. H. (1983). Benzoyl peroxide and epidermal wound healing. Archives of dermatology, 119(3), 222-225. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/article-abstract/543975
- Cohen, H. J. (1975). Benzoyl Peroxide Gel in Acne Treatment. Archives of Dermatology, 111(11), 1535-1536. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/article-abstract/535520
- Control Corrective. (2017). Professional Clinical Skin Care since 1997.
- DCL Skincare. (2017). Professional Skin Care Products for Healthy Skin – DCL Skincare.
Del Rosso, J. Q. (2013). The role of skin care as an integral component in the management of acne vulgaris: part 1: the importance of cleanser and moisturizer ingredients, design, and product selection. The Journal of clinical and aesthetic dermatology, 6(12), 19.
Del Rosso, J. Q., & Zeichner, J. A. (2016). Advances in Acne Management, An Issue of Dermatologic Clinics, E-Book (Vol. 34, No. 2). Elsevier Health Sciences.[Source]
- Del Rosso, James Q., ed. “What Is the Role of Benzoyl Peroxide Cleansers in Acne Management?: Do They Decrease Propionibacterium Acnes Counts? Do They Reduce Acne Lesions?” The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology 1.4 (2008): 48–51. Print.
- Evidence for the Use of a Benzoyl Peroxide Wash in Acne. (1984). InPharma, 441(1), pp.15-15.
Fakhouri, T., Yentzer, B. A., & Feldman, S. R. (2009). Advancement in benzoyl peroxide-based acne treatment: methods to increase both efficacy and tolerability. Journal of drugs in dermatology: JDD, 8(7), 657-661.
- Feldman, S. R., & Chen, D. M. (2011). How patients experience and manage dryness and irritation from acne treatment. Journal of drugs in dermatology: JDD, 10(6), 605-608.
- EWG. (2017). EWG.
- Extreme, B. (2017). Beauty Facial Extreme.
- Harrispharmaceutical.com. (2017). Generic Dermatologicals – Harris Pharmaceutical.
- Kraft, J., & Freiman, A. (2011). Management of acne. CMAJ : Canadian Medical Association journal = journal de l’Association medicale canadienne, 183(7), E430–E435. doi:10.1503/cmaj.090374
- Glymed Plus. (2017). GlyMed Plus.
- Mukhopadhyay P. (2011). Cleansers and their role in various dermatological disorders. Indian journal of dermatology, 56(1), 2–6. doi:10.4103/0019-5154.77542 https://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0019-5154.77542
- Panoxyl.com. (2017). PanOxyl | Acne Treatment with Benzoyl Peroxide Formula.
- Pcaskin.com. (2017). Skin Care Products.
- Vivant Skin Care. (2017). Vivant Skin Care.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 2