Product Comparison Table:
JOVS Venus Pro vs. Tria 4x Laser Hair Removal Overview
Esthetician Tip: Save time by process of elimination. Check if the device is compatible with your skin & hair color first, then compare by technology, power, safety, and other features.
|Tria Hair Removal Laser 4X||JOVS Venus Pro|
|Verdict:||Strongest & Most Powerful At-Home Laser Hair Removal Device||The Safest & Fastest At-Home IPL|
|Awards:||InStyle’s 2020, 2021, & 2022 Best Beauty Buys Award||Red Dot Design Award in 2020|
|Ideal for:||Stubborn, deep-seated hair, Re-growth despite previous IPL sessions; Precision lasering for the face, underarm, & bikini; Looking for a portable, cordless device.||Sensitive skin, Low pain tolerance, Light to medium skin tones, Full body treatments, Precision lasering for the face, underarm, arms, legs, & bikini|
|Technology:||Diode Laser||Advanced Optimal Pulse Technology (OPT) + Multi-Frequency Continuous Pulse Technology (MFCPT)|
|Energy Fluence / Power:||7 – 22 J/cm²||1 – 6 J/cm²|
|Flashes:||90,000 pulses||“Unlimited” flashes (500,000+); the highest among laser home devices|
|Safety Mechanism:||Skin tone sensor + Contact sensor||Contact sensors, ICE Cooling System (JOVS Venus Pro I); Sapphire Skin Cooling System (JOVS Venus Pro II), Custom optical filters & modes for each body part, Recessed flash window. FREE IPL glasses included.|
|Skin Tone Coverage:|
|Hair Color Coverage:|
|Read In-Depth Review||Read In-Depth Review|
|Check for Discounts||Check for Discounts|
Ask the Expert: Which is better for you, the Tria 4x or JOVS Venus Pro?
BY SAMANTHA WELCH, ESTHETICIAN
The more suitable device for you will depend mainly on the thickness and density of your unwanted hair.
Tria 4x Laser Hair Removal
If you have deep-seated follicles, stubborn hair that grow back despite previous IPL attempts, the better option for you would be the highest-intensity laser available for home use: the Tria Hair Removal Laser 4X.
Most at-home laser hair removal uses low-energy IPL and variations of it, while Tria's high power stems from its unique energy source: a diode laser.
It is the most powerful at-home laser hair removal device by a mile and the only one of its kind on the market.
Those with excessive hair growth issues connected to PCOS or hirsutism will likely benefit more from treatments with higher energy fluences.
JOVS Venus Pro
If you have sensitive skin, low pain tolerance, and normal unwanted hair growth, the JOVS Venus Pro is the safer and more convenient option for you.
While it doesn't quite have the power Tria 4x does, the JOVS Venus Pro has a laundry list of custom features. This includes over 11 international safety certifications and a cooling mechanism that renders treatments virtually painless.
It's known as “The Dyson of Laser Hair Removal” with this innovative tech and award-winning product design.
We've tested over 35 devices over the years, and JOVS' competitive edge holds true even when compared to other brands.
Both devices can only work on light to medium skin tones and dark-colored hair.
We've outlined the similarities and differences below in detail, but those mentioned above will still be your main qualifiers.
- ViQure EpiPro – Using powerful diode instead of IPL, ViQure is our Esthetician's Choice for the most effective at-home laser hair removal device for all skin tone and body areas.
- Silk'n Infinity – If your skin tone is high risk with most IPL devices, this is safest IPL device for dark complexions (black skin, brown skin).
- Braun Silk-Expert Pro 5 – One of the most user-friendly devices for beginners.
- Product Comparison Table: JOVS Venus Pro vs. Tria 4x Laser Hair Removal Overview
- Ask the Expert: Which is better for you, the Tria 4x or JOVS Venus Pro?
- Overview: Tria 4x vs. JOVS Venus Pro Laser Hair Removal
- Pros & Cons:
- Laser Hair Removal Key Comparison: Tria 4x vs. JOVS Venus Pro
- JOVS Venus Pro IPL Device Review
- Tria 4x Laser Hair Removal Device Review
- Tria 4x Coupon Codes
- JOVS Venus Pro Coupon Codes
Tria 4x Coupon Codes
Get the best price with the latest premium promo and discount codes when you buy the Tria laser 4x online.
Tria hair removal sales and special gifts are limited-time offers.
Free Shipping to eligible delivery addresses.
Today's Deals on Amazon. Up to 50% off on selected items!
Tria Beauty UK
Free shipping on all domestic orders above £50. Paypal payment plans available. 60-day money-back guarantee. 2-year warranty.*
*at the time of publishing. Subject to change. *can't see codes? They might be disabled by Adblockers.
+ Get the Best Prices Online
+ Coupons & Promo Codes
JOVS Venus Pro Coupon Codes
Get the best price with the latest premium promo and discount codes when you buy online. Sales and special gifts are limited-time offers.
Free shipping. 1-Year replacement warranty. 90-day money back guarantee.*
Free accessories included: IPL goggles + Razor.*
Get $50 off on the JOVS Venus Pro™ II Hair Removal Device – Emerald with code JOVS50
*at the time of publishing. Subject to change. *can't see codes? They might be disabled by an Adblock.
+ Get the Best Prices Online
+ Coupons & Promo Codes
Overview: Tria 4x vs. JOVS Venus Pro Laser Hair Removal
Tria Laser Hair Removal 4x
Video: At-home laser hair removal with Tria Beauty
This device is the closest you can get to medical grade in terms of power and technology.
The Tria 4x is the only consumer device able to use a diode laser, one of the only four lasers used by physicians in professional laser hair removal. (The other lasers are Ruby, Alexandrite, and Nd:YAG. No portable versions of these are available as of this year. IPL is not laser; it is light technology.)
If you want the highest chance of getting permanent results at home, the Tria is by far miles ahead of the pack.
The device, however, is also limited by its technology. Diode lasers are only safe to use on light skin and dark hair.
The nature of laser delivery also limits it to a tiny flash window size. This feature makes it great for the face but time-consuming to use in large areas like the legs.
This device is also unique that it's battery-powered instead of mains connected like most IPL devices. Plugged devices can be a pain, with short cables that can be limiting or long ones that can get messy or in the way during treatments.
The Tria 4x is a higher-end device and quite a splurge. Certainly not as expensive as professional services, but still an investment compared to the more affordable IPL machines.
Ideal for: Stubborn, deep-seated body hair prone to re-growth where IPL has been ineffective; precision lasering for the face, underarms, or bikini areas; looking for a cordless and portable device.
JOVS Venus Pro II
Video: JOVS Venus Pro II Hair Removal Ad
This device has earned its moniker with its innovative tech and award-winning product design.
Delivering more than Instagram aesthetics, the JOVS Venus Pro offers an exhaustive list of features that makes it stand tall in a highly competitive market.
The sheer number of configurations alone provides you with Precision and efficiency that very few devices can match.
Its most unique features are: its rotating head, its use of a novel IPL called OPT, 11 international safety certifications, custom wavelength “modes”, and a contact cooling mechanism.
These, and more, ensure that treatments are painless and safe even when set to maximum power.
After testing & intensively reviewing over 35 devices, the JOVS Venus Pro is our Esthetician’s Choice for the best at-home hair removal device for sensitive skin.
Ideal for: Sensitive skin, Low pain tolerance, Full body treatments, Precision lasering for the face, underarms, arms, legs, and bikini areas; Light to medium skin tones
Pros & Cons:
Tria Hair Removal System 4x
- The first and only FDA-cleared at-home laser hair removal device that uses a true laser, diode (vs. IPL or radiofrequency used by other devices).
- The Tria 4x has won InStyle’s 2020, 2021, & 2022 Best Beauty Buys Award, where they survey top dermatologists to find out which laser devices they recommend.
- Diode laser is proven to be more effective than IPL and requires fewer sessions to achieve permanent results. It is one of the most effective (and expensive) types of hair removal technology also used by high-end clinics and dermatologists worldwide.
- Has the highest energy fluence/power of any at-home device at 7-22 J/cm2 vs. the normal rate of 4-8 cm2
- No eyewear is needed as the device has a Class 1 laser, the safest type that cannot emit radiation at any hazardous levels.
- Safety features include a skin tone sensor that protects the skin and a contact sensor to protect the eyes.
- Perfect for precision lasering; targets small areas like upper lips, underarms, and bikini lines
- For those who have tried IPL technology and been proven to be ineffective for their hair growth, especially those dealing with hirsutism or PCOS
- More portable and safer to use in the bathroom since its battery-powered
- Brand Reputation. Tria Beauty has more than two decades of building innovative hair removal devices with solid customer support—something sorely lacking in cheap, off-brand devices.
- Small flash window size, inefficient to use in larger areas like legs and arms
- People with low pain tolerance may not be able to maximize its high energy levels without numbing creams or cooling gels
- High-end, one of the most expensive at-home devices
- Needs re-charging after 30 minutes of use
JOVS Venus Pro
- Award-winning build & product design. Known as “The Dyson of Laser Hair Removal”. In our opinion, the most sophisticated & stylish IPL device currently on the market
- Clinically tested with 11 internationally recognized safety certifications: FDA Clearance, RoHS Compliance, SGS Certified, PSE Certification for Japan, European Health, Safety, and Environmental Protection Standard Compliance, etc.
- Advanced hair-removing technology with an IPL variation called OPT & MFCPT
- Multiple safety mechanisms in place like skin contact sensors & recessed flash windows to prevent stray flashes from damaging your eyes
- Painless treatments for even the most sensitive skin with its contact cooling mechanism
- Has an “unlimited” number of flashes at 500,000+; the highest built-in cartridge available amongst all IPL devices
- Precision & ease of use with its rotating head for hard-to-reach areas
- 2 flash settings for your convenience: Automatic flashing for large areas & Manual flashing for carefully treating small or sensitive areas
- 5 Modes for each body part: face, arms, underarms, legs, bikini
- Special SR Mode for skin rejuvenation
- Incredibly easy and fast treatments with just 0.7 – 1.5 seconds between flashes
- Free IPL glasses and shaving razor
- The cooling fan is noisy.
- Its auto flashes can be inconsistent.
- More frequent sessions. JOVS recommends you do 3x a week instead of 1x a week or 1x every two weeks, like most at-home IPL devices.
- Despite its ergonomic design, it's still a hefty device to manoeuvre around your body compared to smaller models.
- No built-in storage for the IPL glasses and cords, unlike the handheld device that has its own pretty box.
Laser Hair Removal Key Comparison: Tria 4x vs. JOVS Venus Pro
Consistency and commitment are essential to effective laser hair removal, professionally and at home.
Your goal is to damage your hair gradually during each session. Continue until it reaches the point where your hair is so thin and sparse that it's negligible or can't altogether grow back.
This process must be done safely, effectively, and repeatedly to get permanent results.
At-home laser hair removal takes effort and patience; that's why you need to choose a product that is effective and something you feel comfortable using.
Enjoying and wanting to use the product is crucial to helping you stick with your treatment.
We've detailed our experiences with both products below to give you as many details as you need to make an informed buying decision.
Technology: IPL vs. OPT™
Both use different base technologies to deliver permanent hair reduction safely.
The difference lies in the type of laser light they use, the amount of power or energy fluence they can emit, and built-in safety mechanisms.
JOVS Venus Pro: OPT™ + Multi-frequency Continuous Pulse Technology (MFCPT)
The JOVS Venus Pro has a laundry list of features that may be overwhelming at first glance, all seeming new and unique for an at-home hair removal device.
- Optimal Pulse Technology (OPT™) – stabilizes scattered IPL light to deliver more focused and controlled light energy. It's overall more efficient, more effective, and less prone to side effects.
- Multi-frequency Continuous Pulse Technology (MFCPT) – This technique reduces the risk of sensitive skin and low pain tolerance while keeping clinical efficacy. Applying this to a home device is an excellent solution for those who can't tolerate intense light energy.
Tria Hair Removal Laser 4x: Diode Laser
Video: The technology behind Tria's Hair Removal Laser | Tria Beauty®
99% of at-home laser hair removal devices use IPL or variations of it to provide hair reduction.
Diode lasers are more potent than IPL, making the Tria 4x more effective for those compatible with it (light skin, dark hair) as a hair removal device.
For perspective, these are our Esthetician's Choice for the top laser hair removal for home use and their respective energy fluences.
|Laser Hair Removal Device:||Technology:||Device Levels:||Maximum Energy Fluence/Power:|
|Tria Beauty Hair Removal Laser 4X||DL (Diode Laser)||1-5 levels||7 – 22 J/cm²|
|Silk'n Infinity||eHPL™™ technology (IPL + Galvanic Energy)||1-5 levels||2.5 – 4 J/cm²|
|Braun Silk-Expert Pro 5 IPL||IPL (Intense Pulsed Light)||1-10 levels||3 – 6 J/cm²|
|DEES 3-in-1 Permanent Hair Removal System||IPL (Intense Pulsed Light)||1-5 levels||4.8 – 6 j/cm²|
|BoSidin Painless Permanent Hair Removal Device||Optimal Pulse Technology (OPT) + Multi-frequency Continuous Pulse Technology||1-6 levels||2.8 – 8.2 J/cm²|
Note that the benchmark is reliant on energy fluence. E.g., Tria's 5 power levels are distributed over a wide energy fluence of 6-22 J/cm². This means every level has a considerable jump in intensity compared to Braun's 10 levels, where it maxes out at just 6 J/cm²
The Tria 4x significantly increases in intensity as you go from level 1 to 5.
Just on pure power and laser strength, Tria 4x hair removal is leaps and bounds ahead of the pack.
Winner: Tria Laser Hair Removal 4x
Unboxing: Package Contents
The Tria Laser Hair Removal System 4x comes in a nice, sturdy box that you can use for storage. It's nothing special, but it keeps things tidy and secure.
It comes with:
- The Tria laser 4x unit
- Charging cable
- User manual
- Quick guide.
I keep the device in it whenever I need to charge so I don't accidentally knock it off the counter. I've unfortunately done that several times when I leave it standing while charging.
The JOVS Venus Pro Hair Removal comes in an elegant emerald box with drawers, which houses most of the primary components. There are extra boxes included for the accessories and cords.
- Primary Components: JOVS Venus Pro unit, 6 Optical filters, Power supply cable, Adaptor, US/UK/EU/AU plug.
- Accessories: User manual with free razor and IPL glasses.
Product Design & Our Experience
Ease of Use, Weight, Portability
The Tria Beauty Laser 4x is the only cordless at-home laser hair removal device we've encountered, and the freedom of movement is liberating.
It's battery-operated, which has its pros and cons. You can move around without being tied down to an outlet, but you have a 30-minute time limit until you need to charge.
The Tria 4x laser is also quite hefty compared to other devices with its miniature diode laser machine and lithium-ion batteries.
This added weight is negligible at first but can be tiring after a while.
It is easy to handle, though, with the ergonomic design of its airpod-like build and silicone grip.
Although the device has a rather chunky, angular shape, it is surprisingly comfortable.
Its handle has the right diameter for a comfortable grip, and its auto-flash mode eliminates any strain while using the flash. The handle can be gripped in various ways, allowing you to work around your body differently.
The JOVS is rather hefty, though not as heavy as the Tria with its batteries.
When you're holding the JOVS upright or resting the weight on your legs, it's not an issue. However, I find it more comfortable to grip it with two hands when zapping the back of my knees and calves while seated.
Flashing is easy whether you have optical filters or not. Having gentle curves on the filters helps, but it's unnecessary for a snug fit.
The JOVS Venus Pro also has a rotating head that allows you to position the flashes better without turning the entire device. You can zap around your whole body without straining your wrist.
It's a close match, but we're choosing the Tria 4x as the more mobile-friendly device with its cordless handset.
Winner: Tria Laser Hair Removal 4x
The Tria 4x laser machine is simple to operate.
The device is locked every time it's not in use, which you must unlock using the skin tone scanner at the bottom.
You have an LED display at the top showing your battery life, lock/unlock status, power level, and a pulse counter.
The contact sensor automatically triggers the pulsing whenever the treatment window fully covers your skin, which is very convenient since you don't need to press any buttons for each flash.
The JOVS Venus Pro has a lot more accessories and add-ons in comparison.
However, controls are still intuitive and easy to use once you get the idea.
There are only three major areas to toggle at the back:
- Energy Level Switching Ring – The gold knob at the top of the handle changes the energy level from 1 to 6. The higher the energy level, the stronger the pulsed light. Zero will switch the device off.
- Mode Status – These are the icons that light up on the back of the handle.
- 5 body part icons for the arms, underarms, bikini, legs, and face
- 1 SR icon for skin rejuvenation
- 1 Continuous Flash indicator on the bottom left
- 1 Cooling Mode indicator on the bottom right
- Gold Button – A bit smaller than the one in front, this button is to toggle the Mode Status icons above.
You will also learn the most comfortable way of maneuvering the device until it becomes second nature. Doing full-body treatments will be a breeze, especially with the auto-flash mode.
Resources: Operations: Using the JOVS Venus Pro
They're both intuitive to use, and I would say it's a tie on this front.
Lifespan / Longevity
|Laser Hair Removal Device:||Lifespan/No. of Flashes:|
|Tria Beauty Hair Removal Laser 4X||90,000|
|Braun Silk-Expert Pro 5 IPL||400,000|
|DEES 3-in-1 Permanent Hair Removal System||350,000|
|BoSidin Painless Permanent Hair Removal Device||500,000|
An at-home laser hair removal device will last as long as its cartridge.
With IPL devices, it's down to the number of flashes its Xenon lamp can hold.
The JOVS Venus Pro has a 500,000+ flash capacity, which is the highest in terms of lamp life.
JOVS advertises it as having “unlimited” flashes. And indeed, that amount can last you for a lifetime of use, provided you take care of the hardware.
The lamp itself is built-in and cannot be replaced.
The Tria 4x laser hair removal system has significantly less than 90,000, but you will also need fewer pulses to achieve the same results as any IPL.
The Tria Hair Removal 4x uses a diode laser 3x more potent than any home IPL device.
90,000 pulses are also nothing to sneeze at—that's more than enough for several full-body treatments.
The tie-breaker for use is the battery use. You can only recharge up to 300x for every unit, limiting its use to 300x.
And while that may seem like a lot of uses over a few years, it's another limiting factor to the device's lifespan.
The Tria's diode laser is a built-in machine, so it can't be replaced. The same goes for its battery.
Winner: JOVS Venus Pro
Generally, the higher the energy fluence used, the faster, more effective, and riskier your treatments will be.
Pain is one of the limiting factors to measuring how high we can go with the intensity of your laser, both professionally and at home.
Factors that affect how much you'll feel are:
- The intensity of the laser (measured in joules or J/cm²) — the higher the energy, the more painful it can be.
- The treatment area — upper lips and underarms, for instance, are more sensitive than the arms or legs.
- How thick your hair is — the coarser and denser your strands are, the more heat it will absorb and the more you feel it. This will gradually subside as you progress because hairs will eventually thin out.
- Individual's tolerance for pain — sensitive skin needs a much gentler approach over an extended period to achieve the same results as a higher-intensity treatment done in a short period
- Your skin tone — darker skin has a more adverse reaction to high energy and short wavelengths of lasers.
Both devices are on opposite ends of the pain scale.
The JOVS Venus Pro has a cooling mechanism that assures virtually painless treatments. It's practically made for sensitive skin.
Resources: JOVS Venus Pro In-Depth Review: Pain Levels
The Tria 4x, however,is a much stronger device and can be painful, especially at level 5 (22 J/cm²).
This energy fluence is high enough to warrant soothing gels for some patients in professional settings.
In parallel, numbing creams and cooling gels are not uncommon for those with low pain tolerance who want to use the device at its full capacity to achieve quicker and better results.
Resources: Tria 4x In-Depth Review: Pain Levels
That said, everyone's pain threshold is different. Only you can decide for yourself with experience how high or low you'll be able to go with your treatments.
Winner: JOVS Venus Pro
Frequency & Results
The Tria 4x has one of the fastest turnarounds we've seen in a hair removal device. This is undoubtedly owing to the brand's exclusive use of its mini diode laser.
Treatments are recommended once every two weeks, with 3-6 months of regular use to see significant results.
The disparity in the turnaround depends on the individual's physiology and chosen energy levels.
The higher the intensity level, the faster and more permanent the results.
As the energy fluence used by the JOVS Venus Pro is low and gentle, it also takes much longer for results to come in.
3x-4x weekly for the initial few weeks is the recommended schedule, followed by monthly or as-need basis as maintenance.
You'll have to use the JOVS monthly after the initial start-up phase of 12 weeks to maintain results. According to other reviews, this will eventually taper off, but it will take almost 12 months.
The Tria 4x has a much more sustained hair reduction with extended re-growth periods than most IPL devices.
Winner: Tria Laser Hair Removal 4x
The Tria hair removal 4x is classified as a Class 1 laser. Between Class I-IV, Class 1 is the safest as these are lasers that cannot emit radiation at any hazardous levels.
This device also has an added eye safety mechanism where the whole laser aperture needs to be entirely covered by your skin to flash.
This skin contact sensor prevents any accidental pulses from occurring.
There is no need for protective eyewear because the laser is small and focused, unlike IPL where the light is bright and scattered.
Resources: Tria 4x Safety Mechanisms
JOVS has received 11 internationally recognized safety certifications. This makes it one of the safest hair removal devices on the global market.
The JOVS Venus Pro protects your skin in three ways:
- Contact Cooling – JOVS Venus Pro I utilizes Dynamic Cooling, while JOVS Venus Pro II uses an upgraded Sapphire Skin Cooling System. Sapphire contact cooling is one of the most used cooling methods in clinics.
- Optical filters & Mode Status – This sets the optimal wavelength for each body part. It ensures that darker areas of the skin are not subjected to excess melanin absorption, thereby reducing the risk of dermal heat injury.
- Failsafe from Overheating – The device automatically shuts off if the IPL lamp or machine overheats. The cooling fan will continue to work even after it powers down.
The JOVS Venus Pro has even more mechanisms to protect your eyes:
- Recessed Flash Window –This avoids close contact with the energy lamp, which becomes hotter the longer you use it in one sitting.
- Contact Sensors – Requires the entirety of the flash window to be in complete contact with your skin to avoid stray flashes.
- FREE IPL Glasses – A failsafe that protects your eyes from stray flashes. There's no excuse not to use it since it comes with the package!
Resources: JOVS Venus Pro Safety Mechanisms
Winner: JOVS Venus Pro
The Tria Hair Removal Laser 4x device can be used on light to medium skin (Fitzpatrick I-IV) and dark hair, with cheekbones down for females and neck down for males.
The JOVS Venus Pro will work on Fitzpatrick I-IV, or light to medium skin tones, combined with dark to medium hair colors.
Both cannot be used on naturally white, grey, light blond, or red hair.
If you have dark skin that's out of range for both devices, we recommend the Silk'n Infinity instead.
Based on skin tones, hair color, and coverage of treatment areas, the JOVS Venus Pro can cater to a broader range of patients.
Winner: JOVS Venus Pro