The Best Non Comedogenic Moisturizer for Acne-Prone Skin (Irritated, Sensitive, Oily or Dry)– If you have acne prone skin, you’re probably very hesitant to use moisturizers because you don’t want to put anything on your skin that can cause or worsen your breakouts.
And this much is true—moisturizers can be greasy and loaded with potentially irritating ingredients that can trigger acne. They are, however, essential in achieving balanced skin.
If you have acne-prone skin, the key is to use the right kind of products.
They should be hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. This means that the product is less likely to clog pores or irritate the skin (Remember, irritated skin almost always equal acne). This should apply to all your products, from sunscreen to primers and foundation.
This applies not only to your moisturizers but all your basic skincare products.
For for those with oily skin, in particular, your skincare products should be lightweight so they’re easily absorbed by the skin. Products with thin, gel-like, or water-based consistencies are less likely to clog pores or worsen breakouts.
- 1 Highest-Rated & Best-Selling: Non Comedogenic Moisturizers for Acne-Prone Skin
- 1.1 Eau Thermale Avène Tolérance Extrême Emulsion – Non Comedogenic Moisturizer for Acne Prone & Sensitive Skin
- 1.2 La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat – Oil-Free Facial Moisturizer for Oily Skin to Mattify Skin and Refine Pores
- 1.3 Acne.org 16 oz. Non Comedogenic Moisturizer with Licochalcone for Acne Prone Skin
- 1.4 Christina Moss Organic Facial Moisturizer
- 1.5 MDSolarSciences Daily Anti-Aging Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Moisturizer
- 1.6 Tatcha The Water Cream
- 1.7 Shiseido Essential Energy Moisturizing Gel Cream
- 1.8 Bioderma Sensibio Rich Soothing and Moisturizing Cream for Sensitive to Intolerant Skin
- 1.9 Hada Labo Rohto Gokujyn Hyaluronic Acid Lotion
- 1.10 Cetaphil Dermacontrol – Non Comedogenic Moisturizer for Acne Prone Skin
- 1.11 CeraVe Moisturizing Facial Lotion (AM or PM)
- 1.12 EltaMD SKINCARE UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 for Acne-Prone Skin, Rosacea, Hyperpigmentation
- 2 Non-Comedogenic Moisturizer Comparison Chart
Highest-Rated & Best-Selling: Non Comedogenic Moisturizers for Acne-Prone Skin
These are some of the highest-rated and best-selling non comedogenic moisturizers in the market today.
Aside from considering formulation, ingredients, value for money, and consumer reviews; all the products listed are also explicitly labeled non comedogenic.
Make sure to choose a product that is best suited for your skin type and skin issues.
Non-Comedogenic Moisturizer Comparison Chart
|wdt_ID||Brand / Product Name||Consistency / Texture||Key + Added Benefits||Best for (Skin Type & Condition)||Product Image||Jump to Review|
|1||Eau Thermale Avène Tolérance Extrême Emulsion – Non Comedogenic Moisturizer for Acne Prone & Sensitive Skin||Lightweight, milky texture. Fast-absorbing.||PHYSIO-compatible ingredients, PHYSIO-fine texture, Sterile Cosmetics.
Also prescribed as a post-procedure treatment after laser skin resurfacing or chemical peels to facilitate healing.
Non-comodogenic, hypoallergenic, paraben-free, preservative-free, fragrance-free, coloring agent-free.
|Acne-prone skin - especially if you’re on acne medication.
Allergenic and sensitive skin, Post-procedure - laser skin resurfacing, chemical peels, etc.
Compromised skin barrier - burning, stinging, itching, irritation, dryness.
|3||La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat Oil-Free Facial Moisturizer for Oily Skin to Mattify Skin and Refine Pores||Light, mattifying.||Dual action of reducing shine and large pores.
Smoothens skin texture, can be used as make-up base.
Formulated with micro-exfoliating, Lipo-Hydroxy Acid (LHA)
|Oily skin, Enlarged pores or acne scarring, Sensitive skin, Rough or textured skin|
|4||Acne.org 16 oz. Non Comedogenic Moisturizer with Licochalcone for Acne Prone Skin||Lightweight, absorbs quickly.||Made specifically to pair and counteract side-effects of acne medication: dry, flaky skin.
Features Licochalcone, a potent extract that's soothing and calming, helps control oil production, reduces inflammation, and keeps acne bacteria in check.
|Acne-prone, irritated and sensitive skin; On acne-medication, particularly benzoyl peroxide; Dry and flaky skin.|
|5||Christina Moss Organic Facial Moisturizer||Quick absorbing, non-greasy.||Hypoallergenic. Made with certified organic ingredients.
Cruelty-free, no animal testing.
No harmful chemicals or preservatives: NO SLS, SLES, propylene glycol, propylene glycol derivatives, parabens, sulfates, dyes or synthetic chemical fragrance or preservatives.
|All skin types – Oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, combination skin.|
|6||MDSolarSciences Daily Anti-Aging Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Moisturizer||Lightweight, moisturizing sunscreen.||Continuous time-released hydration with biometric humectants.
Provides broad spectrum 30 without controversial chemicals, with their patented SolSci-X stabilization system.
Anti-aging with antioxidants and collagen repair peptides.
Helps restore brightness and an even tone with calming and repair agents.
|All skin types, those looking for a 2-in-1 sunscreen/moisturizer, Dull skin, Anti-aging.|
|8||Tatcha - The Water Cream||Light but rich, creamy but gel-like and weightless.||Provides nutrient-rich, balanced hydration using Tatcha's unique trinity of anti-aging superfoods: Uji Green Tea, Okinawa Mozuku Algae, Akita Rice.
Oil-free. Non-comedogenic. Non-irritating. Non-sensitizing. Dermatologist tested. Cruelty-free.
Formulated without: Mineral oil, synthetic fragrances, sulfate detergents, parabens, urea, DEA, TEA or phthalates.
|Normal to Oily skin, Large pores, Anti-aging
|7||Shiseido Essential Energy Moisturizing Gel Cream||Dewy, fresh, non-greasy, absorbs quickly. Lightweight gel cream.||
ReNeura Technology™ makes skin more responsive to daily skincare.
Ashitaba, a Japanese green plant known for its regenerative powers.
Non-Comedogenic. Dermatologist-Tested. Paraben-Free. Mineral Oil-Free.
Jars come in 64 different shapes inspired by pottery sued in Japanese tea ceremonies.
|For all skin types.|
|9||Bioderma Sensibio Rich Soothing and Moisturizing Cream for Sensitive to Intolerant Skin||Nourishing, thick but non-greasy.||Made especially made for sensitive and reactive skin.
Moisturizes and restructures the skin barrier, biologically strengthens the skin’s resistance to external elements and increases its tolerance threshold.
Inhibits pro-inflammatory molecules to make the skin less reactive. Soothes any sensation of tightness and overheating to ensure immediate comfort.
|Dry to very dry skin, Sensitive to intolerant, reactive skin, Compromised skin barrier|
|10||Hada Labo Rohto Gokujyn Hyaluronic Acid Lotion||Watery, like a clear toner.||Japan’s #1 drugstore face lotion (aka. moisturizer as we call it).
Preps skin for better absorption of other skincare products.
Super Hyaluronic Acid, a patent pending key ingredient, replenishes the skin with 2x as much moisture-retention capacity of Hyaluronic Acid.
Formulated with a PH level of 5.0-6.5 to balance it out and maintain a healthy, moisturized skin.
Fragrance-free. Colorant-free. Oil-free. Alcohol-free.
|All skin types.|
|11||Cetaphil Dermacontrol Non Comedogenic Moisturizer for Acne Prone Skin||Lightweight, non-greasy, absorbs quickly.||4-in-1 formula: Clinically proven to absorb oil, reduce shine, provide hydration, and broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection
Micropearl technology gives skin a matte finish.
Oleosome technology™ uses a lower concentration of sunscreen filters for better hydration and less irritation.
|Oily to combination skin|
Video: What does non-comedogenic mean? – Ask the Derm with Dr. Stephen Schleicher | DermDox Dermatology Centers, PC
Moisturizers and Acne Medication
Dermatologists recommend moisturizers when using topical anti-acne creams like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, retinoids, antibiotics, and alcohol-based products.
They should always be used in conjunction because these medications are especially drying and irritating to the skin, which in turn can aggravate acne (It’s a horrible cycle that you shouldn’t fall into.)
Good formulations also prep your skin and make is susceptible to absorbing other products like serums and topical creams.
How Often Should You Moisturize?
You should moisturize twice a day after cleansing in the morning and evening.
You can have only one you can use for morning and night, or have two with different ingredients:
- Daytime / AM Moisturizers – can contain sunscreen protection of at least SPF 30, or a stand-alone that you can pair with a non-comedogenic sunscreen
- Nighttime / PM Moisturizers – can contain antioxidants and vitamins like vitamin C, E, CO-Q10 to help with skin repair during the night
Whichever you prefer, you should choose a moisturizer that works best to address your needs.
- Acne.org Products – Cleanser, Benzoyl Peroxide, Moisturizer & More. (2019).
- Avène USA Eau Thermale Avène – Sensitive Skin Care. (2019).
- Barrett J. R. (2005). The ugly side of beauty products. Environmental health perspectives, 113(1), A24. doi:10.1289/ehp.113-a24 https://dx.doi.org/10.1289/ehp.113-a24
- CeraVe Skincare. (2019).
- Chealth.canoe.com. (2016). Zinc Oxide Cream – Uses, Side Effects, Interactions – Canoe.com.
- Christina Moss Naturals – Organic, Healthy, Non-Toxic Cosmetics. (2019).
- Cosmeticsandtoiletries.com. (2009). Comparatively Speaking: Humectants vs. Emollients vs. Occlusive Agents.
- Draelos, Z. (2010). Cosmetic Dermatology: Products and Procedures. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell Pub.
- EltaMD® | Dermatologist Sunscreens and Skin Care Products. (2019).
- Gentle Skin Care Products | Cetaphil. (2019).
- Hada Labo. (2019).
- Purnamawati, S., Indrastuti, N., Danarti, R., & Saefudin, T. (2017). The Role of Moisturizers in Addressing Various Kinds of Dermatitis: A Review. Clinical medicine & research, 15(3-4), 75–87. https://dx.doi.org/10.3121/cmr.2017.1363
- La Roche-Posay Skincare, Sunscreen, Body Lotion Official Site. (2019).
- Chularojanamontri L, Tuchinda P, Kulthanan K, Pongparit K. Moisturizers for Acne: What are their Constituents? J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2014 May;7(5):36-44. PMID: 24847408; PMCID: PMC4025519. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24847408
- LifeCell Skin Care Products. (2014). What Does Hypoallergenic Skin Care Really Mean?.
- MDSolarSciences | DoctorDeveloped SunScreen & SunRepair. (2019).
- Nakhla, T. (2011). The Skin Commandments: 10 Rules to Healthy, Beautiful Skin. St. Louis, Missouri: Reedy Press.
- Nelson, F. P. and Rumsfield, J. (1988), Cosmetics Content and Function. International Journal of Dermatology, 27: 665-672. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-4362.1988.tb01258.x
- Papakonstantinou, E., Roth, M., & Karakiulakis, G. (2012). Hyaluronic acid: A key molecule in skin aging. Dermato-endocrinology, 4(3), 253–258. https://dx.doi.org/10.4161/derm.21923
- Saint-Léger, D., Lévêque, J. and Verschoore, M. (2007). The use of hydroxy acids on the skin: characteristics of C8-lipohydroxy acid. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 6(1), pp.59-65. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1473-2165.2007.00296.x
- Spada, F., Barnes, T. M., & Greive, K. A. (2018). Skin hydration is significantly increased by a cream formulated to mimic the skin’s own natural moisturizing systems. Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dermatology, 11, 491–497. https://doi.org/10.2147/CCID.S177697
- SHISEIDO | Skincare, Makeup & Suncare. (2019).
- Tatcha | Japanese Beauty Products. (2019).
- Truthinaging.com. (2016). Niacinamide.
- Welcome to Bioderma International | Bioderma International. (2019).
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 8